Monday, March 14, 2016

Amateur, Actionable Knowledge: A Video Claim

As my students work together on a collaborative project, I want them to realize that their contribution happens at multiple stages -- and not just as a finished, polished piece of work. Part of this requires a willingness to create and share ideas (including in digitally palatable formats like video) while they are in-process.

Here is a 10-second video where I state the claim that I plan to support more fully in my own contribution to our group project:
I'm sharing this on my social networks, using text to ask a question soliciting feedback.

Update: 3/16/16 (two days later)

I had some great feedback from my Facebook friends. Here's a screenshot:

First off, I see there are a number of people with whom I could probably go back to with my more developed ideas. They already seem to be engaged in the topic independent of my friendship with them. I know Christian H has done freelancing and started as a student doing graphic design for the web and had some early success as a non-professional. Mike R works at a big tech company and could probably connect me with the interns working for his company. A couple of fellow teachers have responded, too. Clicking to see who "liked" my post, I saw this selection of people:

This list includes former students who have now had some professional experience. Phil W is involved in a project called a "domain of one's own" encouraging students (and giving them the tools) to create and maintain an independent, permanent identity site online. I started such a site using his platform recently. Should I be talking about his project? At least I could have a good conversation with him as I work through my ideas.

The early feedback I got has convinced me that I need to talk more clearly about what "contribution" means, and I'm realizing this may require amateurs or students claiming and defining their contributions (for example, on a website or a personal domain).


No comments:

Post a Comment