Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Amateurs are Good Enough, if Not Better

Here is some feedback that I received from the people I shared the video with:

"I watch tutorials that are made by kids who know what they're doing, not experts, and I learn a ton. There's no need to learn from some professional."

"Everybody thinks they're an architect, but they don't realize that there is more than meets the eye when you build houses."

"I think if I became an expert, I would look back and say to myself, 'What was I thinking?'"

I had a really good conversation with a friend who sided with experts, and that really helped me see the other side of this argument. I think I might still have to refine my claim and really identify what it is that I really want to talk about.

3 comments:

  1. Great quotes! This is a really good quick summation of your agruement. I would love to see a bit more of a tie to what we talked about in our group on Monday about power/authority shifting from experts to amateurs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that in the case of the amature a big thing is that you can get many peoples opinion on something. it is hard to get many professional opinions on one topic but it is pretty easy to find 10 people who want to discuss something. so perhaps the real thinking power lies in the masses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Laycee! Figuring out the dynamics of how knowledge is tapped, not just who has knowledge, is key.

      Delete