Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Tolerating Tolerance: A Video Claim

I've embedded below my video claim regarding the link I'm exploring between tolerance and radicalism:


I initially planned on sharing it via Facebook, but I ran into a rather interesting dilemma: my claim can seem rather prejudiced if not fully developed or explained. Ironically, the very idea that overly tolerant social media platforms fuel radicalism prevents itself from being circulated on these channels.

I may seem like I'm overreacting, but I can honestly see several "friends" lashing out against my claim. I realized that I was so concerned about political correctness and didn't want to appear as a bigot, that I wasn't willing to post my idea online.

Hopefully I'm not the only one that sees the irony here.

Anyways, I shared my claim with old roommates, my family, and coworkers. That way, nothing could be taken out of context. I'm still waiting on replies, and will update my post with feedback.

2 comments:

  1. Alec, based on our discussion in class on Monday, I understand why you held back from posting your video on social media. However, I think it could be interesting to see the responses that could either confirm or refute your claim. Be confident in your claim. Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too understand why you refrained from posting, especially with all the political discussion today. In class, I did agree with your story and that being overly tolerant was creating more radicalism in that specific example, but I think that it is hard to say that this always happens. It definitely is true to an extent though! :)

    ReplyDelete