Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Quidditch: Digital Collaboration is building real world relationships

I'm Jackson Berg, avid Quidditch player, and digital collaboration enthusiast.


There are no shortage of people, young or old, but usually older who are ready with a whole host of arguments as to why technology, especially social media, is destroying the very fabric of our society. They are equally quick to say how #blessed older generations were to have such great social skills and how much "better off" they were for it. I'm here to argue that social media and other digital tools are enhancing our interpersonal relationships through online collaboration, not destorying them as many claim. To read more check out my full blog. 

5 comments:

  1. I am a Harry Potter fan however I'm not familiar with what Quidditch is in real life. Is it just playing cards, playing a board game, or playing a real sport? Make sure the first time viewer of your content can understand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions. Here is a link to the kind ofQuidditch I'm talking about. I use this in my full blog. I'd love to hear your comments on my full blog.

      Delete
  2. I understand how online relationships and friendships could build relationships, but do you think that relationships through video games would actually be able to build friendships? Without truly getting to know the person could you say that you're ACTUALLY friends? Interesting idea though! Curious to hear more WHY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I think that the argument for friendships through video games could be made, I'll leave that to the hard-core gamers. The focus of my argument is that digital communication leads to real-life friendships because it fosters collaboration.

      Social media and other tools allow people with similar, often niche interests to connect and share those interests. It goes back to the principle of the long tail. Maybe they don't create the real-life friendships, but they do create an environment for people to build friendships, and enhance existing ones. Check out my full blog (link above). I'd love to hear your comments on my overall argument.

      Delete