Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Positive connections through social media

As I've been looking at my topic with other topics in my group, I've been interested in changing things slightly from my original train of thought.  What kind of connections can be made on social media? Are the connections that come to your mind positive, or negative?

 Often times we hear positive examples of social media connections; however some people have negative views too.  It is important that we understand the difference, and know what it is that is bringing the positive connections.  

During the renaissance there was a term that was used often for people who had an easiness or ease about life.  Well, what does this mean?  The definition of sprezzatura is, "studied carelessness, especially as a characteristic quality or style of art or literature."  Let's look at an example of this.  

Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino was an Italian artist from the 1400s who demonstrated sprezzatura in his life.  


  Here we see two images.  The first painted by an artist named 

Pietro Perugino, and the second by Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino.  As I look at these images, one of them is a little easier on the eye.  That's interesting to me, because Raffaello was known for his use of sprezzatura and ease as an artist. 


So what does this have to do with us? 

Well... Let's look at social media.  This is a positive thing, isn't it? One particular person comes to my mind when thinking about sprezzatura in our modern day. 


Ellen. What comes to mind when you think about Ellen? Well... Ellen does a great job of connecting with others.  She truly has an ease for life, and in her literature (or across her social media platforms) she is true to herself no matter what.  

27 MILLION followers on Instagram.  What kind of connections is she making that other celebrities or talk show hosts are not? A huge part of my life is social media, and this has been a very interesting way to see connections for me.  I have made new friends, I have connected with old friends, I have laughed, cried, and really appreciated these connections. 

If a person were to get on Ellen's Instagram, and then look at her youtube channel, and then her twitter account, they would find a very similar vibe through each of her social media platforms. 


SOCIAL MEDIA is a positive thing, and helps connections grow stronger. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved your connection to the past, I thougth they worked out really well together. While reading your post though I did lose sight of what your claim was. I would incorporate your claim more so that it becomes more engaging. I thought it was really interesting though. and i loved all your pictures

    ReplyDelete